Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Very Mucha Birthday

Art Nouveau is an international philosophy and style of art, architecture and applied artespecially the decorative artsthat was most popular during 1890–1910. The name "Art Nouveau" is French for "new art". Taking inspiration from the unruly aspects of the natural world, sinuous lines and "whiplash" curves were derived, from botanical studies and illustrations of deep-sea organisms and other wild life.  This is one of my most favorite styles of art and architecture, so when Bethy asked me what kind of birthday party I would want, I said I thought an art nouveau party sure would be magical.  So, this year when my birthday rolled around, my sister threw me the most magical art nouveau birthday lunch!  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!




















Alphonse Mucha was a Czech art nouveau artist, I adore all of his prints.  They are so elegant and complex and just gorgeous all the way around.  Bethy had printed off some of his works and made banners that she hung around the room.  She also made a huge print of one, that we later recreated.  I included some examples of his works later in this post as well as our version of the above picture, it turned out pretty well!! Guests were also encouraged to come dressed in an art nouveau style, again look for the examples later in the post where we drew some inspiration for our outfits.

Bethy and Angie had created the most gorgeous headdresses for everyone to wear since they are an iconic part of art nouveau models.

You. Guys. The menu for our lunch was outstanding, everything was AMAZING!! We had homemade lemon pizza, cream filled pears topped with berries and crushed nuts, and the most divine croissant cheese and jam sandwiches. To drink we had warm chai and virgin mint mojiots blended with actual mint leaves thus making it the best mojito I have ever had.  It was SUCH a delectable meal! 















Baby Dina came to the party as well on a silk ribbon leash









My good friend Laura wasn't able to come to the party because she was sick, but she was sweet enough to still get me a gift and send it over with her sister Angie.  We faced timed while I opened her gift, she got me a  Disney giftcard since I was leaving for Disneyland the next day  (the perfect gift from the queen of Disney) and some adorable color changing teal nail polish!  The other girls got me such amazing gifts as well, I am so grateful for such wonderful, thoughtful, creative and talented friends!

After presents it was time for dessert!  We had chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, and salted caramel ice cream! Bethy had asked me earlier in the week what some of my favorite flavors/ foods are in order to create a menu full of my favorite foods.  I gave her the most random list ever, but she did an amazing job at incorporating a lot of it!






Dina got tuckered out from all the excitement
Then we had an art nouveau photo shoot, a party wouldn't be complete without some gorgeous photos as favors!  Here are a couple of examples of Mucha's work, we drew inspiration from these works just so you have a frame of reference of what we were going for ...

I know I included a lot, I just think they are all soooo beautiful I couldn't stop picking out which ones to include!








Since a lot of them have circles in the composition, Bethy thought of the brilliant idea to use a Japanese Umbrella to get a similar effect in our  








And here is our recreation of this Mucha Print






Thank you Thank you Thank you for everyone who contributed to making this birthday party so magical!!

1 comment:

  1. You are loved!What a wonderful sister and friends you have been blessed to have on your journey through life.

    ReplyDelete