Friday, March 13, 2020

Cafe Lalo & Tavern on the Green


Our second day in New York began with getting breakfast at Cafe Lalo. This adorable eatery was made famous when it was used in the classic Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan romantic comedy, You've Got Mail. This cafe was the spot they had picked out to meet each other in person, and where Joe Fox arrives and realizes his email pen pal is Kathleen Kelly.


We were mainly eating here because it was something I really wanted to do, the boys had never seen or even heard of You've Got Mail, so Karin showed them the clip of them meeting in the restaurant while we waited for it to open.



It is absolutely adorable inside. We arrived nice and early and were the first ones seated, we even had the restaurant to ourselves for the majority of our meal. We weren't sure how popular this place was, a lot of the places we ate at in the city required us to get there before they opened or to stand in a line to get in. So, we decided to play it safe and arrive super early, turns out we didn't need to, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.













I was still trying to do keto as much as I could, even though my resolve to stick to it was slowly dissipating with all the good eats we had on this trip, as shown by the whipped cream covered waffle across from my eggs, avocado and tomatoes.... to be honest though, this was a super delicious breakfast, I was a little sad I couldn't order something full of carbs, but I actually ended up really loving this meal, it left me feeling full and satisfied but not stuffed or lethargic.


Thomas was always offering up amazing massages, and we would always take him up on his offers!


There were so many amazing goodies to choose from for dessert



Karin and I split this gorgeous little tart, life is too short to never have any sweets (for the record, I'm no longer doing keto, it didn't work well with my body, and I'm not mad about that)



The bathrooms were also lavishly decorated. I love a well decorated bathroom, I think it shows a lot of class if a place puts a lot of effort into the decor of their restrooms.



After breakfast, the Burton fam went to spend the day at the Natural History Musuem, since Mom, Dad and I had already been there, and Dad and I were still worn out from our busy day the day before, we opted to spend a relaxing day at our hotel. I envy Karin's energy!


Our hotel's decor was extremely modern and very classy, yet also a little whimsical.




They had a slogan that was something to the effect of you'll sleep so well you won't need to count sheep, or something like that. Thus, they had sheep tucked in throughout their decor.





I had planned to take a couple hour nap after breakfast and then enjoy the lobby of our hotel, or spend a little time exploring or shopping in Times Square. I ended up sleeping the entire day, I was shocked when I was woken up by Dad calling to see if I was getting ready to go to dinner.  My body really needed that rest! And I'm ok with that, I have learned that different people need different things to keep them happy, healthy and thriving. I am one of those people that needs a lot of sleep to function, and I take a little longer to bounce back after a long day than others do, which is fine! Do what you gotta do to keep yourself feeling your best.

I was super excited about our dinner reservations that night, we were dining at the historic Tavern on the Green in Central Park!



This is another absolutely gorgeous restaurant. It has recently had a complete make over, so the decor is a little more modern than it used to be. I never saw it in it's earlier years, but I love how it looks now.










The food was so amazing. I need to be better about photographing my entree's and not just my desserts.

A mini New York Cheesecake with berry compote and lemon curd


Mom and I split the warm chocolate chip cookie brownie served with salted caramel ice cream, roasted hazelnuts and warm fudge sauce.


Heaven.


They were setting up for a very extravagant wedding, that they were closing the restaurant for. We were one of the last dinner guests to leave. It was fun to see what kind of preparations they were making!





No comments:

Post a Comment