Thursday, April 11, 2019

Cliff House Maine


Our last stop before heading home was at the elegant and luxurious Cliff House which stretches across 70 oceanfront acres atop Bald Head Cliff on the southern coast of Maine, overlooking the ocean’s edge and Nubble Lighthouse.

We were at this captivating hotel for less than 24 hours, but it was one of the best parts of this trip for me. We arrived in the late afternoon, had a few hours of relaxation time, had our farewell dinner, spent the night, then got up early and drove to Boston, which is only about an hour away, to fly home.

I made sure to see as much as the hotel as possible in the few short hours we were there, I would love to go back some day and spend more time in this lovely resort.











This was my room






Instead of a chocolate mint on my pillow at night, I got an adorable little bag of chocolate rocks!






The best part of this room was the balcony and the view. I love a cold, windy beach. I much rather be bundled up in sweaters and blankets enjoying a moody ocean view than dripping sweat on a hot, humid beach.

This is my happy place




One of my favorite features of this hotel, is the complimentary drink stations in the guest room hallways. They have teas, coffees, juices, waters etc. available anytime. How fancy is that? 



There is a nice, little walking trail that winds along the top of the cliff and along the hotel. My dad and I went exploring to see how far this trail would take us and to see more of the hotel.













After our walk, we had our farewell dinner where we said goodbye to our tour group and our lovely tour director. After dinner, I grabbed a hot tea from one of those deluxe, hallway beverage stations and watched the sunset from my balcony. Heaven.




Then it was off to sleep in that dreamy hotel bed.


Since Boston is only an hour away from the Cliff House, we got to have a fairly leisurely morning. We had a lovely buffet breakfast at the hotel, then made a little stop at the Cape Neddick Lighthouse. This historic light station was dedicated by the U.S. Lighthouse Service and put into use in 1879, it is still in use today.

The Cape Neddick Light stands on Nubble Island about 100 yards off Cape Neddick Point. It is commonly known as "Nubble Light" or simply "the Nubble".





I bought a Moxie soda in the lighthouse gift shop as I was running out of time to try Maine's official soft drink (this is real, it was given this designation in 2005) while in Maine. Honestly, it tasted so weird, first it's sweet, then its bitter, like really bitter.  It's main ingredient is a root extract that is commonly used in herbal medicine, so basically it tastes like carbonated herbal medicine. But it is really popular in New England, especially Maine, so a trip to this part of the country wouldn't be complete without tasting this unique soda.




Then we bid farewell to gorgeous New England, and flew back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment