Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Grandma Detta Dinner


The Sunday before Christmas, we had a special family dinner themed around my Grandma Detta. Rosetta Rebecca Widtsoe was my maternal grandmother who passed away before me or any of my sisters were born, so we never had the chance to get to know her. So we thought it would be fun to have a get-to-know you dinner, and learn more about our grandmother and let all the grand kids get to know their great-grandmother.

My mom decorated the dining room table with things Rosetta liked, lace table clothes, Hummel figurines, Royal Doulton figurines, little dolls from other countries, and her fine dining china. She also put out lots of family photos.





Mom made a 50s style dinner with things similar to what her mother would make. She has often mentioned how Sunday dinners were always ham and potato dinners while she was growing up.


After dinner, we were all given cards with fun facts about out grandmother written on the back with a cute picture of her on the front.




So many of the cards reminded me so much of my mom, she apparently takes after her mother in a lot of ways.




This is my favorite picture of my grandparents, they are so adorable.






My parents' wedding day!






I especially loved this picture and fact, something I can bond definitely bond with her about!



The sweetest picture of Grandma, Aunt Sue and baby mom.


This is totally my mom too.





Mom passed around some of grandma's jewelry, she had impeccable taste.



Grandma was allergic to chocolate, so her favorite treat were these pecan rolls. My parents always get a ton of these as Christmas gifts from neighbors, it will be fun to think of grandma every year when we enjoy them.


Grandma's crèche 


Grandma crocheted this blanket of different country flags.



Dad made this beautiful cake for dessert. Mom and Nora decorated it to be Jesus' birthday cake.







Our family always has a great time when we get together!


No comments:

Post a Comment