Thursday, June 9, 2022

Key West: Butterfly Conservatory


On my first morning I  slept in, took my time getting ready and then walked three minutes from  my hotel to the most adorable French restaurant for breakfast. Croissants De France was first up on my food tour of Key West, I had pretty much planned my entire trip around  all the  amazing  eateries on the island. The food scene is amazing  in Key West.

This authentic french bakery has a lovely patio so I made sure to request to sit outside. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and I was filled with excitement and anticipation of my first solo trip. I remember trying to soak it all in as I waited for my food to arrive because it was such a happy and blissful moment.



As their name suggests, they are famous for their croissants, which I really wanted to try but when I read about the cinnamon brioche french toast with freshly made red berry sauce, served with fresh berries and syrup, I had to try it. It was amazing, it was so soft and fluffy, I enjoyed every bite. 





After my blissful breakfast, it was time to walk down the famous Duval Street to get to the butterfly conservatory. Just walking around in Key West is a blast, there is so much fun personality everywhere you look. The people are so open and friendly, there are dogs, chickens and cats all over the place, lots of funky art and trinkets to look at in all the souvenir shops, and cute, brightly colored homes, not to mention the gorgeous tropical trees and flowers.








The architecture in Key West is very unique to the island, but there are quite a few southern elements to it. I always love a haint blue ceiling on a big front porch. Once upon a time in the deep South, many people painted their porch ceilings a specific shade of Haint Blue, a soft blue-green, to ward off evil spirits called “haints.” It’s especially common in the historic homes around Savannah, Georgia, and Charleston, South Carolina.





The walk to the conservatory was shorter than I anticipated and I was there in no time. 


This butterfly conservatory has the best decorations. It is famous for being the home of two flamingos, Rhett and Scarlett, thus the larger than life flamingos that greet you as you enter.















Upon entering the tropical oasis of the conservatory, I was blown away by how many butterflies were zooming through the air. It was so hard to capture in photos, but they we're absolutely everywhere, anywhere you looked you would see tons of different kinds of butterflies, it was amazing.








There were also several types of colorful birds flying around and hanging out int he leaves or cute little bird houses.




Then it was time to meet Rhett and Scarlett!






Rhett was very friendly. He walked right up and hang out with me for quite a while.


He did keep a very close eye on me though.
















I made sure to wear bright colors to increase my chances of some butterflies landing on me, and  it worked!








There was an area where they had all the chrysalises. I found it fascinating how different they looked depending on the species of butterfly. 









After my time with the butterflies, I exited through the gift shop. This was such a fun place to walk through, lots and lots of silly and beautiful things to look at.



These beaded boxes were my favorite.



When you exit the conservatory, they place one of these adorable butterfly stickers on you.



No comments:

Post a Comment