Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Key West: The Lighthouse Hotel


2022 is proving to be a year of growing and lots of self development and it feels really amazing to push myself to try new things and put myself out in the world in a completely new and different way. One of the big new things I tried at the beginning of the year was solo traveling. Traveling by myself hadn't ever crossed my mind of something I would want to do or even could do, but once I was opened up to the idea, a whole new, expansive world of wonderful possibilities opened up before me, and now I can't stop thinking about where I want to go on my next solo adventure.

For my first ever solo adventure I chose to go to Key West. I had been wanting to visit this little paradise for a while, it was the perfect place to navigate traveling alone for the first time. It's really small so I could walk everywhere and didn't need to rent a car and worry about driving around on unfamiliar highways or getting lost (I am really, really bad with directions), it's safe, there are lots of tourists, there are lots of fun things to do and eat, and the people are so warm and friendly.

After looking over several hotel options, I decided I wanted to stay at the Kimpton Lighthouse Hotel and I was lucky enough to reserve the very last available room. This boutique hotel is so adorable, I loved it so much and the location seriously can't be beat, it is right in the middle of all the main attractions, so walking to either the Southernmost Point or Mallory Square for the sunset celebration was easy. It's right across the street from the Hemingway house and literally right next door to the lighthouse, so it's really easy to find, there was no way I wouldn't be able to find my way back. I don't know if I would want to stay anywhere else when I go back!

Just for my own future reference and anybody else that might be interested, I visited from February 25-March 2. It was the  perfect time to visit, the weather was gorgeous, the orchids were  in bloom and it was about a week or so before spring break. I had several locals tell me spring break is NOT the time to visit since the island, especially Duvall street, is packed and the crowds are loud and rowdy all night. So remember to avoid spring break and also fantasy fest in October, that's another time when the island gets super crowded and loud.




This is Gary Cooper, he is the resident kitty of the hotel. He was usually sitting on the chairs by the front office to welcome everyone to the hotel. He often walks guests to their rooms at night, he walked me back to my room  a couple of times.



The grounds were green, lush and full of gorgeous tropical foliage.


Some of the rooms had adorable little balconies.






There was a quiet little area full of hammocks and swings for guests to go and enjoy a tranquil moment. I loved hanging out there.








The pool area was very small, but super cute. If sun bathing on loungers and playing in the pool is a big part of your vacation, I might not recommend this particular hotel. It's a beautiful and relaxing area though, I had to walk through the pool area to get to my room and I loved passing by.





There are roosters everywhere in Key West, I had read plenty of hotel reviews that suggestd bringing ear plugs because they crow all day and all night. There was one specific rooster that hung out right outside my window and he crowed from 11 pm to 11 am every day.


I happened to go right as all the orchids on the island were in full bloom, they were spectacular.






This was the gate from my room to the pool area, such a gorgeous view to walk by every morning.


This was my personal rooster who "lived" outside my window and crowed through the night, he was there every night and every morning.



And this was my adorable, cozy little  room. All the rooms in this charming hotel are rather small, it was the perfect size for a solo traveler, but it might have been tight for a party of two. Luckily, it was just me and the space was prefect, I loved it.




The bathroom was itty bitty and so cute.



This little oasis of a hotel was the perfect home base for my big solo adventure. I loved it so much, I was so happy every time I turned in from the sidewalk, it truly felt like home for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment