Saturday, June 18, 2022

Key West: Crepes and Island Days Art Show


Day #2 in Key West began with a little stroll down the cutest little street on my way to get crepes for breakfast. The creperie was only a 3 minute walk from my hotel, I loved how everything was within walking distance! 

This adorable street embodied a lot of that unique Key West flair.











The French Cafe Creperie is right across the street from the famous Blue Heaven restaurant, it's an adorable little place with a gorgeous patio.



I got a lovely little table on the peaceful patio. I had the best view of the most adorable little dog enjoying breakfast with his owners. I got to meet this sweet little guy after breakfast, his humans were so nice.




It was at this meal that I discovered the main hardship of solo travel, not being able to split food with other people. There were so many things that sounded so good on the menu I had the hardest time deciding what to get. I obviously needed to get a crepe, but they had an eggs benedict that was served on a croissant and topped with key lime hollandaise sauce, how could I pass THAT up? So, I learned an important lesson, which was to just order it all and have no regrets.



The crepe was my favorite part of the meal, it was perfection. The benedict was delicious but I found another place that had an even better benedict. 


After breakfast it was time to walk to the Old Island Days Art Show. This show was one of the main reasons I picked this specific weekend for my trip. It was held at the Truman Waterfront Park so I walked through the Truman Annex to get there. This neighborhood is a little slice of southern heaven, all the homes were painted in pastel colors, the streets were lined with towering trees, it was quiet and quaint.
















The art show was so much fun, there was such a wide variety of different types and styles of art. I had such a wonderful time slowly strolling among the tents taking in all the creativity.







There were tons of dogs and I couldn't resist meeting as many as I could, they were all so sweet.











This quote about journeys spoke to me, seeing as I was on this solo, self discovery journey in the land of sunsets, discovering whole worlds of things I hadn't ever imagined I could do.












I was fascinated by this artist. All of her pieces we're made out of paint chip samples. She had signs up saying to view her art through your phone, it was a interesting experiment because the pictures became more clear when viewed through the phone, they didn't appear as pixilated. I have no idea why that is, but it was so fun to try it out.












It was fun to see iconic places in Key West portrayed in art, I was headed to this Key Lime Pie store later that day!


This artist, Brian Murphy, was my favorite. I loved his style and he had gorgeous pieces of Cinque Terre, one of my favorite places in Italy. If he had had a smaller canvas from cinque, I for sure would have bought it. Brian hosts artist retreats all over the world, and this summer he is taking a group to this Italian coastal paradise, so I started following him on instagram and will keep an eye out for more pieces like this one.



I loved this one he created of french architecture and was seriously tempted to buy it, it reminded me a lot of Monte's studies of Notre Dame.


My time at the art festival was cut a little short by a rainstorm, luckily I had seen most of the artwork by the time the rain got really heavy. I hid out under some palm leaves for a while waiting and hoping for it to lighten up, but it  never did. So I began my 20 minute walk to the Audubon House in the rain.


About half way through my journey I was finally able to find an umbrella to purchase. It was from The Green Parrot, one of the famous bars on the island. I also passed by the Mile 0 marker, lots of articles and blogs I read about Key West mentioned this as a photo spot. I didn't have it on my list of one of my must see things, but felt I had to snap a pic with it since everyone makes a big deal about it.



My rainy adventure continues in my next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment