Monday, June 13, 2022

Key West: Southernmost Point


After my time with the butterflies, I walked just a little further down Duval Street to the Southernmost Point. I had a couple of to see items in this area, first, which is by far the most eye catching, is the colorful Southernmost House Hotel. This is a historic boutique hotel that is adults only, it's located right on the water. I had seen pictures of this cute hotel online and couldn't wait to see it in person. I toured around the grounds, I didn't go inside, but I would come back and have dinner here on my last night in Key West.
 







I spotted a mama hen and some baby chicks next to the hotel, it was hard to get a picture of the babies, the mama was very protective.


Next up was getting my picture with the iconic Southernmost Point buoy! This spot marks the southernmost point in the continental United States, the lowest latitude land of the contiguous North American states.  My pictures were taken very strategically to make it look like a nice, peaceful place, it is actually always super crowded and I waited in line for about 30 minutes in the hot, hot sun to get my picture next to it. It was worth it though, it's one of the most Key West things a tourist can to do.



After standing in the sun for such a long time, I needed a little sit down in the shade with a nice, cold drink. I had read a lot of reviews that suggested getting a drink at the Southernmost Beach Cafe, so I headed straight for there.


I requested a table right next to the open windows that looked over the beach, I ordered a Miami Vice and it tasted so cool and delicious, it hit the spot.




I had a wonderful time reading, listening to the ocean waves, enjoying my drink and the shade. It was pure bliss.


I also got a little snack of coconut shrimp with a pineapple dipping sauce, they were the cherry on top of a perfect moment.


I stayed long enough that I became friends with my cute server. I asked her for a recommendation on where a good spot would be to watch the sunset on this side of the island (I had plans to go to Mallory Square the next day, which is the best place to watch the sunset and it's on the complete opposite side of the island) she suggested going to the Waldorf Astoria hotel and watching from their beach. There aren't any private beaches in Florida, so the public has access to the beach at the Waldorf. The hotel was only about a 10 minute walk from the cafe so I said that sounded perfect.

The walk over was full of fun sights.


The beach at the Waldorf is absolute heaven, it is beautiful, peaceful and has plenty of chairs. I loved it here, spoiler alert, this was by far my favorite place to watch the sunset. Mallory Square was fun to experience, but it was a much more stressful, crowded, loud, and anxious experience for me. I loved watching the sunset from this beach so much, that I came back another night.








 None of the sunsets I saw during my trip were the epic, fill the entire sky with lots of colors, dramatic kind of sunsets. They were still all very beautiful and relaxing to watch, I love that sunset it such a big deal in Key West, sunsets should be celebrated.




Apparently, there are weddings everywhere on the weekends. I had only been in Key West for 24 hours and I had already seen 5 weddings. There were two different weddings going on at the same time at the Waldorf while I was watching the sunset. There was one right next to me that I basically felt like I was a part of, they took their pictures pretty much right in front of me. They were gorgeous photos, I was happy for them :)


I got to watch the bride walk down the aisle during the ceremony and I watched as they got the party of the reception started. It was a beautiful wedding.

The other wedding was on the other side of the beach from where I was. When I was walking back to the hotel entrance to walk home I saw them lighting fountain fireworks off from the dance floor during the first dance. It was pretty exciting.




This hotel is gorgeous!



Such a great first day! I loved every second and never felt lonely, it made me  realize how truly awesome solo travel is!

No comments:

Post a Comment