Sunday, December 25, 2022

August Moments


I was in California for half the month of August, but I still managed to have quite a bit of fun when I was home. Here are a few of the little moments that made this month a happy one.

Angie, Laura and I went to see Cinderella at Sundance. We also bought tickets for the BBQ dinner served before the performance. The dinner as absolutely delicious and it was so fun to eat outside among the trees.


The play was so much fun with lots of magical costumes and set designs.  We got really lucky with the weather, it was forecasted to rain all afternoon and evening. We made it through dinner and the first half of the play before feeling a single drop. It quickly turned into a downpour and they had to cancel the rest of the play. But we got to see all the best parts, the fairy godmother, Cinderella's carriage, horses and dress transformation and the ball. We had such a great time.





Karin, James and Thomas were in town for a few days so we got to do some fun things with them. Karin took us to UVU to see the breath taking Roots of Knowledge stained glass windows. These windows are a stunning masterpiece. Roots of Knowledge is a panorama of history and human drama. The intricate details incorporated into every window represent years of painstaking research on the events and people that shaped humankind from the days of wooly mammoths and cavemen to the iPhone.


Karin had created a scavenger hunt for us, it really helped us appreciate all the amazing details that are in each panel. She had 3 different categories, each one a page long. 

Famous monuments
Famous people
Easter eggs






We also visited the aviary while the Burtons were in town.


I have a painting done by one of the parrots from the aviary, his name was Picasso. So when I saw a sign for a Hornbill painting, I was excited to add to my collection of animal artists!


Picasso the parrot painted with sponges that he lightly dabbed on the canvas. Epic the hornbill painted by pecking at a suspended paintbrush. (All paint used is non-toxic and safe for animals)


Epic "signed" his artwork with his footprint.


I love it! It has dirt and leaves incorporated into the paint and I really love that about it.


One evening mom and I were babysitting and we did crafts out on the patio. It was so fun to enjoy the warm summer evening on the beautiful patio.



We also enjoyed many beautiful and delicious summer meals at mom and dads house.


August was the month our new forever couch came!! I had hand picked and customized this couch from Ethan Allen and I am in LOVE with it!! I am so glad I went through the trouble of returning the other couch, designing this one and having no couch for months while waiting for this one to be delivered. It was all worth it. This is the comfy couch of my dreams.


It's extra deep with extra soft cushions all wrapped up in a velvety soft, handpicked fabric. While it isn't as long as the other one, this one is a million times better. It brings me so much joy every time I sit on it.


All three of us are obsessed with it.




We went to see Silent Sky at Hale Theater. It was beautiful and fascinating. 

An astonishing true story!  Early 1900’s… Henrietta Leavitt, a meticulous mathematician, is hired by the Harvard Observatory to be a human calculator. Struggling with increasing hearing loss, she calculates the distance between sound waves which leads her to a groundbreaking discovery…she can deduce the distance between planets and stars using her formula! Her accomplishment was even more amazing since – as a woman – she was never allowed to look into the skies through Harvard’s telescope.  An historical event filled with humor, hope and the indomitable human spirit!"

 They had replicas of the exact instruments Henrietta Leavitt used to make her incredible discoveries in the lobby of the theater. After the show, we could see them and since they were replicas, we were invited to touch and handle them if we wanted to.




After coming home from California, I had a little, fluffy, black and white shadow that needed to be touching me at all times...





I also had very thoughtful friends drop off yummy treats to welcome me home wish me well since I was still very ill with The Sickness (rhinovirus).

Angie gave me some of her famous, homemade, browned butter rice crispy treats. They are SO GOOD.


Laura brought me a fresh peach, an apple cider donut and a cherry donut from a local farm in Alpine. I am so grateful for such loving and thoughtful friends!


Speaking of fall time treats...

Fall time/halloween things had started popping up in stores and it got me so excited for halloween! I had decided the halloween season would be starting September 1st at my house. It felt wrong to start it in August, that is still summer time. So I held off until September. But it was a little crazy the stores already had halloween things in August, but I wasn't complaining.




No comments:

Post a Comment