Sunday, February 19, 2017

#OptOutside



Last year REI started a movement for people to reconnect outdoors over the holidays. They closed on one of the most popular shopping days of the year, paid their 12,000+ employees to spend time outside, and invited America to join them. The response was overwhelmingly positive. More than 1.4 million people and 170 organizations chose to #OptOutside.



Our family celebrated Thanksgiving the Friday after the holiday this year so that our whole family could be together, so I did my #OptOutside on Thanksgiving instead of Black Friday. I went up American Fork Canyon to relish in the peace and heavy silence that follows a thick snowfall. It was even more quiet given it was a holiday and most people were at home celebrating with their families.




"Time outdoors makes you healthier and happier. And there are so many ways to get out. No need to be extreme. Just find a place near you, then open the door and head outside."



I love being out in nature, being completely enveloped in it's grandeur, and surrounded by it's stillness. I live minutes away from gorgeous mountains that people travel days to enjoy, and yet I rarely make it out to explore and appreciate them. I wish I made it outside more, so I was grateful for this challenge to remind me to get out in nature, to savor it and recharge, away from screens and technology.






I was lucky enough to be able to have the golden sunset as a backdrop to the frozen wonderland before me, the contrast of the warm and cool was exquisite.


Velvet leggings and knock off Sorels, the perfect cozy outfit for adventuring in the snow



I extend REI's challenge of opting outside whenever you have the opportunity, sometimes you will have to create that opportunity to make it happen. As with everything, it won't always just fall into your lap. You don't even have to wait until next Black Friday, you can #OptOutside whenever and wherever you want :)




No comments:

Post a Comment